February 2, 2015 | by: 0 Comments|
In 2015, Redeemer has a goal to spend more time boldly and directly asking God to bless Redeemer, grow Redeemer, mature Redeemer, bring conversion to Redeemer and use Redeemer in His disciple-making mission.
Often, I have the desire to pray like this, but I am not sure what to pray or how to get started. I am guessing you can feel this way as well.
As a practical help to us, I interviewed my friend, Justin Wainscott, who is the pastor at First Baptist Church in Jackson, TN. Justin began 2015 by preaching three sermons entitled Praying, Pleading for Revival based on Psalm 85:6-7.
"Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you? Show us your steadfast love, O LORD, and grant us your salvation." (Ps 85:6–7, ESV)
I wanted to see how God is teaching Justin and how Psalm 85:6-7 is shaping his ministry at FBC-Jackson. I wanted to see how Justin's sermons could help Redeemer in our 2015 goal of bold prayer. I realized that we are ultimately praying for biblical revival at Redeemer. Justin's sermons and this conversation can certainly help us foward.
I found my conversation with Justin simultaneously convicting and encouraging. I found a blend of winsome engagement, pastoral desire, historical insight and biblical foundation. There is much for us to learn. Here are a few highlights.
- How can we be desperate for God to work?
- How does hope in Christ drive us to pray for revival?
- What is biblical revival?
- Why is praying for revival helpful and worthwhile?
- Should we ask God to do things through us and for us?
I hope you will listen, be challenged and be moved to praying for God's work at Redeemer.
Listen Here: Conversation on Revival
If you find our conversation helpful, take time to listen to the three sermons that Justin preached on Psalm 85:6-7. Justin challenges us to pray in a desperate, God-centered and hopeful way.
Access All Three Sermons:
- Praying, Pleading for Revival - Part One
- Praying, Pleading for Revival - Part Two
- Praying, Pleading for Revival - Part Three
Additional Resources Mentioned in the Interview:
- Definition of Biblical Revival by Ray Ortlund - When God Comes to Church: A Biblical Model for Revival Today
- Jonathan Edwards - A Faithful Narrative of the Surprising Work of God
- John Woodbridge and Collin Hanson Book - A God-Sized Vision: Revival Stories that Stretch and Stir
Comments for this post have been disabled.